Want blog updates?
... plus a roadmap or plan to make it happen?
Publishing content online is a big thing in many ways ... a) because there's a lot of content out there and b) because sharing content is a great way to market yourself and your business.
It's true that nearly everyone I see who is struggling with marketing implementation is suffering from
- Lack of strategy ... and, let's keep that simple: strategy = conscious thinking and
- A basic, practical plan that makes implementation a simple process.
'Content marketing', like any other form of marketing, requires these two things to be successful.
Otherwise you can feel unsure about and overwhelmed by what you are doing. You'll tend towards an erratic approach all enthused one day, and a bit fed up the next. And you'll find it difficult to keep to all those best practice checklists you keep finding and reading like publishing regularly and consistently.
Even if your business is just you, having a framework to guide you makes life so much easier especially when there is so much demand on your time. And once you have other team members involved, the whole venture can quickly lose direction and become haphazard without an overarching content plan think of it as a publication flow chart.
It needs to encompass all your tools and activities website, blogs, guest blogging, social media platforms ... and your offline activities.
The main areas to consider are:
- Identify the different types of content news, tips, advice, in-depth articles, and so on.
- Understand the audience for and purpose of each.
- Is it content that you originate or are you sharing or building on someone else's material?
- Where does it come from?
- Who originates it and when?
- Where does it go to - site section, blog, social media?
- Who, if anyone, edits it or re-purposes it? This can include rewriting in a different style for different platforms.
- How time critical is it?
- When will you publish it?
- How well does it perform? Make sure you are monitoring what happens (readers, shares, and so on) and learning from it!
If you have a planning or 'process' tip that works well for you, do drop a note below and we can talk about it in a future post.
Growth Vouchers - the potential to get up to £2000 in match funding to spend on strategic marketing advice
[Update 3 April 2015: The Growth Vouchers scheme closed to applicants on 31st March 2015. Enterprise
Marketing - what's new and what's still the same?
There are those who say that marketing is completely different today than it once was, say 5 years ago
If your marketing is failing to give you the results you want, this could be why
Especially if you really are investing a lot of time, energy and money – and still failing to get